Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Paleo Slow Roasted Tomatoes

With tomato season coming to an end, this is something to do with all those extra lbs of red deliciousness before they start to turn.  You can use these roasted tomatoes as snacks, on salads, as a condiment...just about anything.  Roasting them makes them super sweet (think sundried tomatoes without being super dry).  





2+ lbs tomatoes, halved
olive oil
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 3225.  Place tomato halves in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Drizzle a teeny tiny amount of olive oil over the top of each one and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  If you're using cherry tomatoes they'll be done in about 3 hours.  The larger the tomato, the longer they'll take to cook.  They should look a little shriveled but still juicy. 

You can store extras in a jar in olive oil. 

3 comments:

Amanda Barkey said...

Hi! I am new to Paleo (have been easy myself and my family into it over the past six months after a realization of my husband and baby boys sensitivity to gluten and dairy and my own sugar detox) Anyways, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I have been pouring over it for the past 24 hours & am INSPIRED! I moved to SoCal about two years ago from Canada & live in east Costa Mesa down by back bay... I just saw some lovely pics of a farmers market you went to last fall... is it every Sunday & where exactly is it located? I go to the one at the OC Fairgrounds on Thursdays but am not terribly impressed... so most of my fruit and veg shopping at Growers Direct Market on Newport Blvd. ALSO is there any other way to store the roasted tomatoes? Freezing? I would love to make a big batch and use them in the winter since there is an abundance of gorgeous tomatoes right now! Yours look divine! Thank you for your beautiful blog- again, inspired.

Seaside Kitchen said...

Amanda - Thanks for your kind (and flattering!) words. That picture was from the farmer's market at the Lido village http://www.newportbeachfm.com/ , and it is every Sunday!

I haven't tried freezing the tomatoes, but they'll keep quite while in the fridge. If you do freeze them, let me know how they turn out!

Amanda Barkey said...

I did find this article about freezing them & I think I am going to try it! I will let you know how it works out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...