Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Paleo Beet Sliders

I know many of you probably thought WTF when you read the title.  I agree, when I heard of these little things existing, I too was a skeptic.  But as a beet lover, I felt compelled to adapt and eat these mythical meatless sliders.  I discovered this concept watching a food show, highlighting a Sacramento restaurant called Gatsby's that serves them up daily.  I did some research and then hit the kitchen, and I think they're delicious!



4 large golden beets, peeled and greens trimmed
1/4 cup salt
6 arbol chilies
2 tbs coriander seeds
1 tbs caraway seeds
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tbs black pepper
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbs olive oli
Mayo (I use Julia Child's recipe)
Red leaf lettuce

Place beets in a large stock pot and cover with water.  Add everything from the salt to the lemon juice and bring to a boil.  Simmer until beets are tender (about 30-40 minutes) and turn off heat. This gives the beets a 'meaty' flavor, so you can even let them stew in the liquid overnight in the fridge.

Remove the beats and heat olive oil in a saute pan.  Slice beets into thick rounds and place in pan, heat both sides on high to get a little caramelization on them.

Spread a little mayo on your coconut biscuits, place the beet on top of that...throw some lettuce (and any other burger accouterments you're feeling) and you have yourself a beat slider.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...