Friday, December 10, 2010

Comfort Food, Spaghetti Squash

There are rare times when food has less appeal to me than an afternoon spent at the DMV, and whilst the thought of prepping and cooking makes me want to join the apathy coalition, my hunger begs to differ.  So I trudge to the kitchen, and when I'm in this sordid mood, 9 times out of 10, I make this dish.  It's easy and comforting, especially after a day that's been less than stellar. 

This humble gourd has been our pasta substitute for some time now, and can be topped with anything you'd put on noodles.  This particular night I made (Semi-homemade Sandra Lee style) meat sauce - translation:  ground beef, onions, zucchini, and a jar of Trader Joe's Marinara.  
The apathy coalition. Join us.  Or Don't. Whatever





Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and bake in the oven at 400 covered in foil until you can pierce it with a knife.  When it's done, use a fork to "rake it" into noodle like pieces, and top with whatever sauce you have handy.  This squash is also great in stir fry and anything that calls for noodles. 

2 comments:

Michael A said...

Nice apathy coalition reference. I'm wearing the shirt.

Casey said...

Been waiting to try this one for a long time and excited to give it ago tonight! How much time do you estimate to leave the squash in the oven? Should I check it regularly/frequently?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...